Thursday, April 29, 2010

Gay Marriage and The Downfall of Western Civilization

One of the hot button issues in the news and permeating American politics is that of whether or not to allow same sex marriages. Although I have my own feelings and opinions on the matter, I went and found two articles on the subject embodying both the pro and con sides of the argument.
The main basis for the anti-gay side is that gay marriage will erode family values as well as the fabric of what makes a "wholesome family".
In a list compiled by a group opposed to gay marriage they claim that after same-sex unions where legalized in Scandinavia half the children born after that were born out of wedlock, trying to form a connection between married gays and bastard children. Pro gay marriage websites discredit this by saying that the study quoted was done by a biased researcher and can't prove any connection because of more valid studies done showing that marriage had been in decline long before gays were allowed to marry.
The second reason given on the list is that gay marriage will lead to polygamy. The pro site dismisses this as just plain irrational and says that even if this were a rational concern it would be all to easy to just pass an amendment banning polygamy and stating marriage as a union between two consenting adults.
The anti gay site gives several more reasons ranging in sanity from "Children will be taught perversion in schools" to essentially saying that gay marriage is a pandemic which will plunge society into the gay version of the dark ages.
I feel that although these reasons are quite compelling I don't think they capture the true horror of what would happen should gays get equal rights and subsequently take over the world. No longer could I look at the ugly old dilapidated buildings I've come to love because they would have been replaced by the ridiculously lavish architecture the gays love so much. Even worse would be the music. I could never get used to the mixture of Celine Dion, Cher, Lady Gaga, and Melissa Etheridge that would dominate all music outlets. Elizabeth II would be deposed from her throne to make way for Elton John. Not so extreme but almost as bad would be the renaming of Comedy Central to The Kathy Griffin Network, I mean...she's funny, but really?

Sound ridiculous? In my opinion those reasons are actually significantly more convincing than just telling me that God doesn't like the gays and therefor if they gain the ability to marry God will be pissed. Seriously, I hate Celine Dion. She doesn't sing she screams and I'm pretty sure "she" is actually just a gay man "her"self. I have no proof but I'm just sayin'.

In summary, the hardcore christians need to find a much better way into scaring people because some people are scared of God and some people are scared by the thought of Madonna's ego becoming even more inflated, much like me. Or, God forbid, they stop trying to scare anyone and just let people do their own thing; but what fun is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment